TSE_v3.1_logo_2019
  • LATEST NEWS

    Duterte donates his one month salary for COVID-19 cause

    MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has pledged to donate his one month salary to boost the collective fight against the dreadful coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Chief Presidential Legal Counsel and Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed on Sunday, April 5.

    President Rodrigo Duterte to donate his one month salary for COVID-19 cause.
    President Rodrigo Duterte to donate his one month salary for COVID-19 cause.

    As of the year-end 2019, Duterte's salary was around P400,000 per month.

    The Palace also said that many of the members of the President's Cabinet will also donate 75% of their monthly salaries from April to December of this year. Meanwhile, others have volunteered a salary deduction for the whole duration of the state of public health emergency.

    RELATED STORIES

    "Other officials with the rank of secretaries are similarly giving portions of their respective salaries," Panelo added.

    Likewise, the Assistant Secretaries of the Offices of the Chief Presidential Legal Counsel and Presidentila Spokesperson have committed to donate at leat 10% of their income directly to the Office of the Civil Defense this month. "They will continue providing financial and relief assistance from their salaries to groups who are at the frontline of this health crisis in the succeeding months."

    Lockdown extension

    Cabinet officials also talked about the possibility of extending the Luzon lockdown for another two weeks.

    "There is emerging consensus coming from medical experts, businessmen, government officials, and other well meaning individuals that an extension of two weeks for the enhanced community quarantine or lockdown is necessary as lifting could be premature as it might wipe out the gains we have so far achieved in containing the virus," Panelo said.

    He added that the President is now evaluating the proposals and will make decision "in due time."

    "The President is all ears and eyes on this unfolding reality and expert opinions. He is evaluating the best option to take that will effectively ensure the success of our war against this faceless global enemy. He will make decision in due time."

    On Saturday, head of the national task force (NTF) Carlito Galvez Jr. also echoed that termination of the quarantine period may halt government’s goal of “flattening the curve" or reducing the number of cases.

    READ: Gov't eyes 15 to 20-day Luzon lockdown extension

    “It’s quite difficult to rush to normalcy and the problem comes back. What we are considering is to impose this in one go, perhaps extend it for another 15 or maybe 20 more days so we can sustain its positive impact,” he said.

    As of Sunday, the Philippines had total confirmed COVID-19 cases of 3,246. This number includes 64 recoveries and 152 deaths.

    — The Summit Express

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad