Palace: Boracay closed for 6 months effective April 26


ADVERTISEMENT


MANILA, Philippines - Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the president approved the closure for 6 months of Boracay Island effective April 26, 2018.

Palace: Boracay closed for 6 months effective April 26
President Rodrigo Duterte orders closure of Boracay Island | Photo Courtesy: elinchow.blogspot.com

This was confirmed in a tweet by Roque on Wednesday night: "Bora closed for 6 mos effective 26 April."


President Rodrigo Duterte arrived on a firm decision to make way for the island’s rehabilitation as it currently hounded by environmental issues.

“The overwhelming consideration for the President really is to restore Boracay to its pristine condition,” Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said, stressing that any short-term effect of the island’s closure would not outweigh the long-term benefits of the planned clean-up.

Palace recently received the official recommendation from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), and the Department of Tourism (DOT).

A shutdown of Boracay could lead to job losses for 36,000 people and P56 billion in lost revenue, stakeholders earlier said, as they appealed for a partial, instead of a full closure.

Boracay is one of the country's popular tourist destinations. Last year, around 3.72 million people flew to the island, according to the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP).

— The Summit Express


Don't miss our regular updates and awesome stories. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or subscribe via E-mail


ADVERTISEMENT