Grandmother surrendered for stealing cellphone, allegedly killed by Ormoc cops

A public outcry came after the dead body of an old woman was found shot, tied with packaging tape and hands tied.

Grandmother surrendered for stealing cellphone, killed by Ormoc cops

It was later found out that the old woman was 60-year-old lola Lorna Soza, a suspect of phone stealing from a store.

In August, a CCTV footage showed Soza stealing a smart phone from a store in Ormoc City. She was then arrested when she was seen strolling at the mall.

Upon the interrogation of the Ormoc City police, Soza admitted to the accusation and apologized and gave all the money she had, amounting to P10,300. The store owner didn’t purse to press charges, according to a report by GMA News.

But even after that, Soza remained to be detained at the Police Station 1 of Ormoc City. Chief Inspector Shevert Alvin Machete, Kananga town police chief confirmed that Soza was supposed to be released on August 11 but at around 1’oclock in the morning, she was allegedly removed from her prison cell and was forcibly loaded to a police car. The following day, her dead body was found, hands tied, with a gunshot wound in the face and wrapped in a packaging tape in the grassy area of the national highway in Barangay Nanghalin in Kananga.

Chief Inspector Machete named the suspects as Chief Inspector Omar Cartalla, chief of Ormoc City Police Station 1 and other members, Police Officer 3 Eleazar Tero, Police Officer 2 Ernie Clemencio and Police Officers 1 Ritchie Sy and Ryan Refuerzo.

Since the investigation began, the police were already relieved from their posts. They are now being held at Eastern Visayas Police Regional Office and are charged with murder. Additional charges were given to PO3 Tero and PO2 Clemencio for arbitrary detention of Soza.

This case of alleged summary killing by the police has yet again stirred the netizens online, asking if justice will be served.

-- Sally, The Summit Express

Previous Post Next Post