Pal reveals how Resorts World Manila gunman became addicted to gambling


ADVERTISEMENT


“He tried the casino and won back a big amount. That’s how it began,” Barangay Darasa village chairman Dodong Ablao said about Jessie Javier Carlos, the gunman behind the Resorts World Manila attack that took place in the early morning of Friday, June 2.

how Resorts World Manila gunman became addicted to gambling

In his interview with Inquirer, Ablao, who had been “friends” with Carlos for the last five years, revealed how Carlos became addicted to gambling.

Long before Carlos became hooked to casino gambling, he was a big player in cockfighting in Tanuan City, Batangas. He used to own a two-hectare farm where he breeds his fighting cocks. Ablao runs the cockpit in the village.

“He was very impulsive. Malakas pumusta (A big bettor). He would allow himself to lose P1 million (in cockfighting) in just one night,” Ablao claimed.

Because Carlos had debts to settle, he had to sell his farm for P10 million in November 2016. While some of his fighting cocks were sold, others were transferred to another location, according to Ablao.

Carlos only received half of the payment in January.

In addition, Carlos also offered his rifle, which he later on used during the Resorts World attack, for P100,000 to Ablao. However, he refused to purchase it since he was not into guns and wasn’t sure if Carlos secured a permit for the weapon.

“Thinking about it today, I feel guilty. If I had bought the gun, he wouldn’t probably have the guts to attack (Resorts World),” Ablao said.

On Sunday, June 4, authorities identified Carlos as the gunman behind the Resorts World Manila incident that took the lives of 38, including Carlos, and injured 67 others.

National Capital Region Police Office chief Oscar Albayalde described Carlos a “high roller” gambler who incured millions of pesos in debt because of his gambling addiction.

"He is heavily indebted due to being hooked in casino gambling, according to his immediate family," Albayalde said.

"This became the cause of misunderstanding with his wife and parents. He has a bank account with an outstanding debt of P4 million and several other non-bank related debt,” he added.

Upon the request of his family, Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) banned Carlos from all casinos in April 2017. Authorities consider this as a possible motive behind the deadly attack.

"This could have probably triggered him, kaya galit na galit siya sa casino. Alam niya, hindi siya basta-basta pwedeng pumasok sa casino para magsugal kasi mayroon siyang picture diyan at hindi siya papayagang pumasok,” Albayade explained.

--Mini, The Summit Express

Don't miss our regular updates and awesome stories, Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or subscribe via E-mail.


ADVERTISEMENT