Ariana Grande’s Manchester concert attack prompts PH counterparts to be more vigilant


ADVERTISEMENT


Tragedy hit Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester, Great Britain, Monday night. During the singer’s performance, a suspected terrorist attacked rocked the arena causing patrons to break out in a commotion.

Ariana Grande

The police revealed that the attacker died after detonating explosives around 10:33 pm local time at the Manchester Arena where the concert was being held. The venue has the capacity to house around 21,000 people although the exact numbers of attendees have yet to be confirmed.

"Just before 10.35pm on Monday 22 May 2017, police were called to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena.” the local police force said in a press statement. "So far 19 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise."

Since then, the number of deaths has already climbed up to 22 - among the victims are young children and teens who were just looking to have a good time watching Grande. Later on, the singer took it to her personal Twitter account to express her dismay and torment with what happened. She wrote: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words." It is still unclear how the tour will progress given the predicament but it is presumed that the singer will eventually get back on the road to fulfill her obligations to appear in other cities around the globe.


The singer is scheduled to be coming to Manila in 3 months as part of her world tour, “A Dangerous Woman Tour “- the same reason why she was in Manchester to perform. That being said, officials involved in her arrival in the country are taking extra precautionary measures to make sure that there will be no repeat of the recent tragedy in England here in the Philippines. Concert-goers are also advised to be more alert of their surroundings and inform officials right away if they noticed anything suspicious.

"The organizers of the Ariana Grande concert (in the Philippines) must involve the local PNP unit so that appropriate security arrangements and assistance can be extended to ensure the safety of the concert goers," Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos, PNP spokesman, said in a text message sent to ABS-CBN News.

Grande’s second concert in the Philippines will be held at the Mall of Asia Arena this coming August 21.

--Ana, The Summit Express

Don't miss our regular updates and awesome stories, Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or subscribe via E-mail.


ADVERTISEMENT