TSE_v3.1_logo_2019
  • LATEST NEWS

    ABS-CBN to lay off workers effective August 31

    MANILA, Philippines – ABS-CBN Corp. will lay off some workers effective August 31, the network announced on Wednesday or five days after the House panel killed its 25-year franchise application.

    ABS-CBN to lay off workers on August 31
    Candles were lighted outside the gate of ABS-CBN's headquarters in Quezon City after franchise denial. Photo Credit: Patrick Roque

    Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, some of the 11,000 workers of ABS-CBN will face the 'heartbreaking' retrenchment.

    Here's ABS-CBN statement on layoff of workers:

    With the non-renewal of its congressional franchise, ABS-CBN is now forced to cease the operations of some of its businesses and implement a retrenchment program covering ABS-CBN and its subsidiaries effective end of business day on 31 August 2020.

    We are doing all we can to mitigate the pain that will be felt by those affected, including paying out separation and retirement benefits and providing job placement programs. The loss of their jobs comes at a time when the uncertain and perilous impact of the COVID-19 pandemic further makes our decision truly difficult, but inevitable.

    As much as it hurts us to implement this retrenchment program, this is the only way to ensure the continued employment of the rest of our Kapamilya.

    For those who are affected, we pray for you and your families, that you may have the strength and guidance to deal with the challenges ahead. For all that you have done for ABS-CBN, maraming salamat po.

    On July 10, the House Committee on Legislative Franchises adopted the report of the technical working group (TWG) to deny the grant of franchise citing the alleged violations of the network.

    ABS-CBN said they had been losing P30-P35 million in advertising revenues since the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) ordered to stop its operations on May 5.

    Recently, Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa advised employees of ABS-CBN to just look for another job.

    "Hanap ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay at mag sumikap. May ibang paraan pa naman siguro para mabuhay tayo," he said.

    “Alangan namang sabihin ko sa kanila na maghimagsik kayo, magwala kayo, hindi naman pwede yun. Hanap na lang kayo ng ibang trabaho para mabuhay ang pamilya ninyo,” the senator added.

    The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has estimated that 10 million workers in the country will lose their jobs this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    In their May 2020 report, DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that 2.6 million workers have already lost their jobs due to the temporary closure of businesses affected by the crisis.

    — The Summit Express

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad