TSE_v3.1_logo_2019
  • LATEST NEWS

    Philippines' COVID-19 death toll rises to 297 with 50 new deaths

    MANILA, Philippines – Fifty (50) more patients have died from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the country, the Department of Health (DOH) reported on Sunday. This brings the death toll to 297.
    Philippines' COVID-19 death toll rises to 297 with 50 new deaths

    Meanwhile, forty (40) more people have recovered from the disease, bringing the total recoveries to 197. This only covers those treated at hospitals, the Health department earlier said.

    This is the largest single-day increase of new deaths and new recoveries so far.

    In the Western Pacific region, April 11 data from World Health Organization (WHO) says that Philippines is next to China in terms of death toll. In Southeast Asia (SEA), Philippines is second highest in total deaths, next to Indonesia with 327.

    COVID-19 Western Pacific Region

    DOH also reported 220 new confirmed cases, bringing the country total to 4,648.

    On Saturday, DOH clarified that it has never issued any order to stop the census or reporting of deaths, or any case related to COVID-19 to any health facility.

    "All hospitals and and health centers are mandated to report on consultations and/or admissions and the status thereof, that fit the COVID-19 case definitions," DOH said in a statement.

    This came after veteran journalist Arnold Clavio shared alarming situation of East Avenue Medical Center.

    READ: DOH reacts on Arnold Clavio's allegations on COVID-19 real situation in PH

    COVID-19 testing capacity in PH increases

    Recently, DOH announced its efforts with other government agencies to conduct more tests and prepare more quarantine facilities, as it ramps up the country’s fight against coronavirus.

    SEE ALSO: DOH revises classification of patients for COVID-19

    By April 14, it will be capable of conducting 3,000 tests per day as a result of its recently expanded testing protocol. It also aims to further increase capacity between 8,000 to 10,000 tests by the end of April.

    “We expect that the number of confirmed cases in the country will continue to rise as we test more people,” DOH Health Promotion and Communication Service Director and Special Assistant to the Secretary Director Dr. Beverly Lorraine Ho said in a virtual presser.

    DOH emphasized that mass testing will be conducted to target those who are in need — all persons under investigation, and the vulnerable populations including health care workers who are exposed to confirmed cases.

    DOH is also intensifying its efforts to analyze existing medical data for a more accurate assessment of the current health situation, and working with other government agencies to construct quarantine facilities to accommodate more confirmed cases.

    — The Summit Express

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad