SSS now ready to accept unemployment benefit claims

MANILA, Philippines – The Social Security System (SSS) has announced that its members can now file for unemployment claims.
SSS now ready to accept unemployment benefit claims

In a statement released by SSS president and chief executive officer Aurora Ignacio, SSS members who were involuntarily separated from their workplace can now file their applications to receive a cash grant from the pension fund.

Ignacio said, "The unemployment insurance or involuntary separation benefit intends to provide SSS members who are involuntarily separated from employment with financial aid which could help them, while they are in the process of finding a new job."

The unemployment benefit is part of the Republic Act 11199 or the Social Security Act of 2018.

READ: SSS unemployment benefit to support members looking for new jobs

Under the measure, members can expect to receive 50 percent of his/her average monthly salary credit for a maximum of two months.

Ignacio explained, "For example, a member who’s earning P10,000 per month was involuntarily separated from employment. He/she may be granted a cash assistance for a maximum period of two months."

"The cash assistance is equivalent to one half of his AMSC, which in this case is P5,000 per month of unemployment benefit or a total of P10,000 for the two-month period of his/her unemployment," she said.

The unemployment benefit cannot be given to workers who personally resigned from their jobs. It only applies to workers who involuntarily lost their job or without fault of their own (laid off). SSS clarified that the reason for the separation must not be due to the worker's negligence.

To qualify, members must have at least a contribution of 36 months,12 months of which should be in the 18-month period immediately preceding the involuntary unemployment or separation. They must also not be over 60 years old. Underground and surface mine workers, and racehorse jockey members, on the other hand, must not be more than 50 and 55 years old.

Members are only allowed to file for unemployment claim once every three years starting from the date of involuntary separation. If there is a case of concurrence of two compensable contingencies, the highest benefit will be considered.

To file for unemployment claim, a certification establishing the nature and date of involuntary separation issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) through its regional offices or Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLO) and the Notice of Termination from Employer or the Affidavit of Termination of Employment should be submitted.

Involuntary separation that occurred on or after March 5, 2019 can now be filed. Members are given only a year from the date of involuntary separation to file.

— Sally, The Summit Express

Previous Post Next Post