Alleged Resorts World gunman commits suicide


ADVERTISEMENT


MANILA, Philippines - An unidentified masked gunman who opened fire at luxury hotel and casino Resorts World Manila has apparently committed suicide by setting himself alight, according to a report by ABS-CBN News.

In a radio interview, Manila Police chief Oscar Albayalde said: "Our assessment is he burned himself. He committed suicide.”

Alleged Resorts World gunman commits suicide
PHOTO CREDIT: Sun UK
Early on Friday, June 2, the gunman forced his way into a Resorts World Manila casino, set several gambling tables on fire and shot gambling machines and LCD screens. Although he didn’t appear to be firing at people, he caused chaos and stampede resulting to injuries of about 30 people.

RELATED STORY
Resorts World Manila Attack: updates, list of fatalities

According to Philippine National Police Chief Ronald dela Rosa, the gunman ransacked a room and stole gaming chips worth over P1 million. Dela Rosa believes that incident was a case of lone robbery and not a terrorist attack.

"It's too early to tell, but so far as we are concerned there was no ISIS," Dela Rosa said.

"If this is ISIS, all the people gambling inside should have been shot or already been bombed. He didn't hurt anyone. Those who were injured got their injuries when they jumped from the windows,” he explained.

Footage and photos of Resorts World Manila after gunshots heard
Video and photos from the Resorts World Manila complex where gunshots and explosions have been heard. The resort is on lockdown http://cnn.it/2rfYSgs
Posted by CNN on Thursday, June 1, 2017

Because of the incident, the establishment as well as all terminals at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport were put in a lockdown.

ISIS’ lone wolf soldier

Despite claims of PNP that it was a robbery incident, the SITE Intelligence Group insisted that an ISIS Filipino operative was responsible for the attack.

"An Islamic State (IS) Filipino operative who provides daily updates on the ongoing clashes in Marawi stated that the group is responsible for the attack at Resorts World Manila in Pasay, Philippines,” SITE said.

Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law all over the island of Mindanao after members of the Maute Group went on a rampage through Marawi City. The president announced that he may have to put the whole country under martial law if the terrorism threat spreads.

--Mini, The Summit Express

Don't miss our regular updates and awesome stories, Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or subscribe via E-mail.


ADVERTISEMENT