TSE_v3.1_logo_2019
  • LATEST NEWS

    Grandmother accidentally burns life savings worth P14k

    MANILA, Philippines – A 95-year-old woman from Laur, Nueva Ecija accidentally burned her wallet containing life savings amounting to P14,000.

    Honorata Gahis just finished cooking rice and was about to boil water when she accidentally dropped her wallet on the stove setting the P1,000 bills inside it on fire.

    Grandmother accidentally burns life savings worth P14k
    PHOTO CREDIT: Facebook/SarahLie Gahis De Guzman

    In her interview with GMA’s “State of the Nation”, Gahis recounted: “Hindi ko alam pero nag-punta ako sa harap ng kalan… Hindi ko alam na andoon ‘yung wallet. Talagang wala na ‘yung wallet ko.”

    The unfortunate incident was shared on social media by the elderly woman’s granddaughter SarahLie Gahis De Guzman who was hoping to get help from netizens.

    “Kami po ay nagbabakasakali lang po na maibalik kasi po ‘yung matanda, inaano rin po niya ‘yung pera niya. Iniisip-isip rin po niya ‘yung pera niya,” she wrote on her post.

    According to De Guzman, they already asked Gahis to leave the cooking to them. However, the elderly woman insisted on doing things on her own since she loves cooking and doing household chores.

    Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Currency Issue and Integrity Office manager Nenette Malabrigo promised to provide assistance to Gahis to determine if the burnt money can still be replaced.

    She revealed that damaged cashnotes can be replaced depending on the size, security thread and signatures. Malabrigo said that just one of the two signatures on bill must remain intact.

    “Dapat po ang natira sa nasunog ay 60%, more than 50%, more than kalahati,” Malabrigo explained.

    Fortunately, the incident reached Nueva Ecija Governor Oyie Matias-Umali who willingly replaced her burnt bills right away.

    — Mini, The Summit Express

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad