WATCH: iPhone 7 Plus mysteriously explodes

Apple has launched a probe into an incident involving an iPhone 7 Plus that mysteriously caught fire.

iPhone 7 Plus mysteriously explodes

An 18-year-old teen from Arizona, USA shared a video of her smouldering iPhone 7 Plus on Thursday, February 23 on Twitter. The short video clip quickly became viral and has been viewed over 1 million times.

In the caption of the video, Twitter user Brianna Olivas wrote: “So my iPhone 7 Plus blew up this morning was not even using it, literally no explanation for this.”

According to Olivas, her ordeal with the gadget started the day before it exploded. It apparently didn’t turn on prompting her to bring the device to an Apple Store. After running tests on the phone, employees informed Olivas that her phone was fine.

Indeed, her iPhone 7plus appeared to be back in good condition.

However, this didn’t seem to be the case the next morning.

In her interview with Mashable, Olivas recounted: “The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser.”

“He went to the restroom ... and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom ... as soon as he threw it in the restroom it blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”

After the incident, Olivas turned over her phone to Apple. They will be running tests and are expected to know more within a week.

"We are in touch with the customer and looking into it,” said an Apple spokesperson.

Last year, Samsung recalled over 1 million units of its flagship device, Galaxy Note 7 after several cases of the unit catching fire and causing injuries were reported.

--Mini, The Summit Express

Previous Post Next Post